(This charter was discussed and approved at the 7th National Conference of Member Representatives on Sept. 24th, 2011, and was discussed and revised at the 8th National Conference of Member Representatives on Dec. 12th, 2015 )
Chapter I General Provisions
Article 1 The name of the institute is China Institute of Navigation (hereunder called CIN for short).
Article 2 CIN is a national, academic, non-profit social organization. It is composed voluntarily of units and individuals engaged in navigation, legally registered and established as a social legal person. CIN is an important non-governmental force to develop our national navigation science and technology, which serves as a link between the Communist Party of China and navigation science and technology workers.
Article 3 The mission of CIN is to promote navigation culture and to respect knowledge and talents. We advocate “dedication, innovation, pragmatism and cooperation,” unite and organize the navigation science and technology workers, and adhere to the basic line of the Party, center our work on economic construction, insisting that science and technology is the primary productive force, implementing the strategy of developing the country through science and education, the strategy of enriching the state by talents talent and sustainable development strategy, thoroughly applying the Scientific Outlook on Development in order to promote prosperity and development of the navigation industry and navigation science and technology, to accelerate the growth of the talents in navigation science and technology and to enhance the combination of science and technology and the economy and to serve for the socialist material progress and cultural and ideological progress.
Article 4 CIN is guided and supervised by China Association for Science and Technology (hereunder called CAST for short) and Ministry of Civil Affairs of the People’s Republic of China (hereunder called MCA for short). It also receives business guidance from the relevant department of State Council of the PRC.
Article 5 The address of the Institute is based in Beijing.
Chapter II Business Scope
Article 6 The business scope of the Association shall be as follows:
1.To carry out navigation academic exchanges activities, to invigorate the navigation academic thoughts, to promote the development of navigation disciplines and academic standards, to improve the technological level of navigation and to promote the independent innovation of navigation science and technology;
2. Carry forward the spirit of navigation science, strengthen the cultural construction of navigation, popularize the knowledge of the navigation science, to promote advanced navigation technology and scientific management experience and carry out activities of the Youth navigation technology;
3. Undertake the commissioned (transfer) events by the government, organize or participate in the major programs about the national navigation industry development strategy, policies and suggestions.
4. Carry out the following work in accordance with the provisions approved by the relevant government departments:
1) Organize and carry out the evaluation and reward work of the Navigation Science and Technology Award, the Youth Science and Technology Award.
2) Reward the navigation science and technology workers who have made outstanding achievements in navigation activities.
5. Conduct technology consultation, services, transfer and exhibition in navigation industry and its related areas;
6. Organize further education and training in navigation;
7. Organize the editing and publishing of navigation technology books, proceedings, research and write The History of China’s Navigation.
8. Carry out the international navigation scientific and technological exchanges, promote international scientific and technological cooperation.
10. Protect the legitimate rights and interests of members;
11. Complete other issues entrusted by the government or members to the Association.
Chapter III Membership
Article 7 The applicants should have willingness to join the Institute，advocate the charter, pay membership dues by the charter and have the appropriate conditions for membership.
Article 8 Members of the Institute include individual member and institutional member:
1. Individual member: Any expert, scholar, researcher having relatively great influence in the disciplines and relevant fields as well as persons who have certain profession skills or knowledge can be an individual member of CIN. Individual member includes senior member, ordinary member, member of Hong Kong, Macao & Taiwan, foreign member and honorable member.
1) Senior member: Experts, scholars and managers with senior technical titles or having made significant professional achievements in the field of navigation; or personals with a great influence who have actively participated in academic exchanges organized by the Institute.
2) Ordinary member: researchers, teachers and managers who engage in the fields related to the navigation, staff directly engaging in the navigation, scientific and technical personals in other fields which relate to the navigation technology and college students.
3）Member of Hong Kong, Macao & Taiwan: Accomplished personals from Hong Kong, Macao or Taiwan in navigation who have ardent love for the motherland and have the willingness to contact, communicate and cooperate with the Institute.
4）Foreign member: Accomplished personals from foreign countries in navigation who have the willingness to contact, communicate and cooperate with the Institute.
5）Honorable member: Successive Principles of the Institute.
2. Institutional member: Enterprises engaging in the navigation with a certain number of members and having the willingness to participate in the activities held by the Institute.
Article 9 The admission procedure shall be as follows:
1) Individual member: Submitting application; Discussion and adoption by the Council or the Standing Council; Issuing member certificates by the Council or an organization authorized by the Council.
2) Institutional member: Submitting application; Discussion and adoption by the Council or the Standing Council; Issuing member certificates by the Council or an organization authorized by the Council.
3) Member of Hong Kong, Macao & Taiwan: Upon his own application or recommended by the individual member or the branches of the Institute; discussion and adoption by the Council or the Standing Council.
4) Foreign member: Upon his own application or recommended by the individual member or the branches of the Institute; discussion and adoption by the Council or the Standing Council; delivering the documents to the China Association for Science and Technology for record.
5) Honorable member: Recommending the nominees in the Chairman Meetings; discussion and adoption by the Council Meetings or the Standing Council Meetings.
Article 10 Rights of membership:
1) The right to vote and be voted (Excluding foreign member);
2) The right to participate in activities held by the Institute;
3) The priority to enjoy services of the Institute;
4) The right to criticize make suggestions and supervise;
5) The freedom to enroll and withdraw of membership.
Article 11 Responsibilities of membership:
1) Comply with the Charter of the Institute and implement execution of its decisions by the Institute;
2) Accomplish the work assigned by the Institute;
3) Pay Membership fees according to the regulation paid;
4) Report to the Institute and provide relevant materials;
5) Safeguard the legitimate rights of the Institute.
Article 12 Members shall notice the Institute in written form and return certificates of membership before withdrawing the membership:
1) Those failing to pay membership fees or those unable to participate in activities held by the Institute would be automatically deemed as withdrawal the membership.
2) The individual member card shall be returned to the Institute before withdrawal the membership
3) The withdrawal personals need to re-apply when he/she wants to join the Institute.
Article 13 The council has authorized the Institute's secretariat (or office) to manage the membership cards.
Article 14 The Membership would be removed by the board of directors or the board of executives through voting if any member severely violated the Charter.
Chapter IV Establishment of the Organization and Appointment & Dismissal of Persons in Charge
Article 15 The Member Representative Assembly, which shall be the highest authority of the Institute, has the following functions:
1) To formulate and amend the Charter of the Institute;
2) To elect or dismiss the member of the Council;
3) To review the working report and financial report of the Council;
4) To formulate and amend the standards of membership dues;
5) To decide the dissolution of the Institute;
6) To determine the purpose and working policy of the Institute and to formulate and amend the stipulations of the safety industry;
7) To convene the Member Representative Assembly or annual meeting;
8) To decide other important issues.
Article 16 The Member Representative Assembly shall not convene unless more than two-thirds of the member representatives are present. The decision of the Assembly shall not be effective unless it is adopted by more than two-third of the present member representatives through voting.
Article 17 The Member Representative Assembly shall normally meet in ordinary session every fourth year. The Assembly may be convened ahead of the schedule or be postponed in exceptional case, provided that it is adopted by the Council through voting, reported to the competent business department for review and approved by the administrative department for social organization registration. The Assembly shall not be postponed for more than one year.
Article 18 The Council shall be the executing organization of the Member Representative Assembly. It shall lead the Institute to develop the routine works between sessions of the Assembly and shall be responsible for the Assembly.
Article 19 The Council shall be able:
1) To implement the decisions of the Member Representative Assembly;
2) To elect and dismiss Chairman, Deputy Chairman, Secretary General and member of the Standing Council;
3) To make preparation for convening the Member Representative Assembly;
4) To report to the Member Representative Assembly the work and financial status of the Institute;
5) To make decision on acceptance or dismissal of members;
6) To make decision on setting up, changing and cancelling the administrative bodies, branches, representative offices and operating units;
7) To make decision on appointment of Deputy Secretary General, and the major persons in charge of every organizations;
8) To lead the organizations of the Institute to implement works.
9) To formulate the internal management system.
10) To make decision on the setting and person of honorary appointment;
11) To decide other important issues.
Article 20 The meeting of the Council shall be convened at least once a year. It may be convened by telecommunication or in other ways in exceptional case. The meeting of the Council shall not be convened unless more than two-thirds of members of the Council are present. The decisions of the Council shall not be effective unless they are adopted by more than two-thirds of the present members of the Council through voting.
Article 21 The Institute shall establish the Standing Council. The Standing Council shall be elected by the meeting of the Council, and shall execute the functions specified in clauses (1), (3), (5), (6), (7), (8), and (9) of Article 20 between the sessions of the Council. The Standing Council shall be responsible for the Council. The number of members of the Standing Council shall not be more than one-third of the members of the Council.
Article 22 The meeting of the Standing Council shall be convened at least every six months. It may be convened by telecommunication or in other ways in exceptional case. The meeting of the Standing Council shall not be convened unless more than two-thirds of members of the Standing Council are present. The decisions of the Standing Council shall not be effective unless they are adopted by more than two-thirds of the present members of the Standing Council through voting.
Article 23 During the Standing Council’s intersessional, the important issues shall be decided in the Chairman’s Office Meetings. The Chairman’s Office Meeting shall be convened t every six months.
Article 24 The Chairman, Deputy Chairman and Secretary General of the Institute shall meet the following requirements:
(1) They adhere to the line, principle, policy of the Party with high political quality.
(2) They are in good health condition and able to work normally.
(3) They have relatively great influence in the business field of the Institute.
(4) They are not deprived of political rights.
(5) They can fully exercise the civil rights.
(6) They shall be not older than 70 years, and the Secretary General shall be employed full time.
Article 25 Each term of office for the Chairman, Deputy Chairman and Secretary General of the Institute shall be four years. They shall not hold the same office consecutively for more than two full terms. Their terms of office may be extended in exceptional case, provided that it is adopted by more than two-thirds of the votes cast in the Member Representative Assembly, reported to the competent business department for review and approved by the administrative department for social organization registration.
Article 26 The Chairman, Deputy Chairman or Secretary General of the Institute who are older than the maximum age specified in the Statute may be appointed, provided it is adopted by the Council through voting, reported to the competent business department for review and approved by the administrative department for social organization registration.
Article 27 The Legal Representative of the Institute shall be the Chairman of the Council of the Institute:
1)The Deputy Chairman or Secretary General may be appointed as the Legal Representative of the Institute in exceptional case, provided that he/she is entrusted by the Chairman, agreed by the Council, reported to the China Association for Science and Technology for review and then approved by the Ministry of Civil Affairs of People’s Republic of China for social organization registration.
2)The Legal Representative of the Institute shall not be appointed as legal representative of other institutions.
3)The Legal Representative signs the relevant important documents on behalf of the Institute.
Article 28 The Chairman of the Institute shall:
1) Convene and hold the meetings of the Council (or the Standing Council);
2) Inspect the implementation of the decisions made at the Member Representative Assembly, the Council meeting and the Standing Council meeting.
Article 29 The Secretary General of the Institute shall:
1) Take charge of the routine work of the administrative bodies and organize the implementation of the annual work plan;
2) Coordinate the work of branches, representative offices and operating units;
3) Nominate Deputy Secretary Generals and major persons in charge of organizations for the consideration and decision of the Council or the Standing Council;
4) Decide the employment of full-time staff of the administrative bodies, representative offices and operating units;
5) Deal with other daily issues.
Article 30 During the intersession of the Member Representative Assembly, the standing supervisory authority is the board of supervisors, which consists of 3-5 supervisors and a chief.
Article 31 The Institute could set several professional committees within the scope of its business. To establish, alter or cancel the branches or the representative institutes shall be discussed and adopted by the Council. The relevant documents shall be delivered to the China Association for Science and Technology for record. The professional committees do not enjoy the legal person status.
Article 32 The title of the professional committees of the Institute shall be the full name, it’s CIN Professional Committees on.
Chapter V Principle of Use and Management of the Assets
Article 33 Funds of CIN come from:
1) Membership fee;
2) Receiving donations and financial aid;
3) Income from offering services;
4) Financial aid provided by the government;
6) Other legal incomes;
7) Collecting membership fee is in accordance with relevant regulation set up by the state and the Institute.
Article 34 The funding of the Institute must be used to develop the business scope and causes as prescribed in the Statute. It shall not be allocated among members.
Article 35 The Institute shall establish strict financial management system, and shall ensure the legitimacy, authenticity, accuracy and integrity of the accounting data. The Institute shall employ accountant with professional qualification. The accountant shall not be employed as the cashier at the same time. Accountant must conduct the financial accounting and accounting supervision. The accountant must fulfill the hand-over procedures with his/her successor when he/she is transferred to other post or quit the post.
Article 36 The asset management of the Institute shall conform to the financial management system stipulated by the Central Government, and shall be supervised by the Member Representative Assembly and relevant financial departments. The assets derived from the governmental allocation or public contribution and donation shall be supervised by the auditing departments. Relevant information shall be published to the public as appropriate.
Article 37 Financial auditing must be conducted by the administrative department for social organization registration and the competent business department before changing the term of office or changing the Legal Representative of the Institute.
Article 38 The asset of the Institute shall not be seized, illicitly partitioned or impropriated by any institutions or individuals.
Article 39 The salary, insurance and welfare of the full-time staff of the Institute shall comply with the relevant regulations of China on institutions.
Chapter VI Procedure of Modification of the charter
Article 41 Modification of the charter should be firstly approved by the Council and then by the National Conference of Member Representatives.
Article 42 The modified charter should be submitted to CAST to review and approve after being approved by the National Conference of Member Representatives within 15 days, then they will go into effect from the date of approval by MCA.
Chapter VII Procedure of Termination and settlement of Property
Article 43 Should theinstitute be terminated by reason of task fulfilled, voluntary disbanding and or separating, merger,it should be motivated and raised by the council or the standing council.
Article 44 The termination motion should be approved by over half of the representatives in its National Conference of Member Representatives and to be submitted to CAST for approval.
Article 45 Before termination, a clearing organ should be set up under the guidance of CAST concerned to clear credit or debt and aftermath.
Article 46 Termination will be in effect after cancellation of the registration in the MCA.
Article 47 In terms of the left funds and property, they ought to be used for the causes concerned with the aim of the Institute under supervision of CAST, MCA and its affiliate units according to relevant regulations set up by the state.
Chapter VIII Supplemental Provisions
Article 48 It has been approved at the 8th National Conference of Member Representatives on Dec. 12th, 2015.
Article 49 The right of interpretation of the present charter is vested in the council of the Institute.